- Album: We Have This Moment
- Artist: Gaither Vocal Band
- Label: Spring House Productions
- Style: Progressive, Inspirational
- Release Date: 10/13/17
- Digital Download: Yes (Apple Music)
- Running Time: 50 Minutes
Today we take a look at the new album from the Gaither Vocal Band, We Have This Moment.
The Vocal Band has seen their fair share of personnel shifts the last couple of years. The vocal line-up on We Have This Moment includes Wes Hampton (tenor), Adam Crabb (lead/baritone), Reggie Smith (baritone/lead), Todd Suttles (bass/baritone) and Bill Gaither (baritone/harmony vocals).
We Have This Moment gives current listeners a taste of the Vocal Band style in the mid/late 1980’s. The group’s progressive Southern Gospel sounds are combined with the inspirational sounds of the mid ’80’s group to create this newest recording.
- The album kicks off on a strong note with the fun, up-tempo, “Hallelujah Band”. The song was chosen as the first radio single from the album and it is definitely the best choice.
- Another fun song, “Manna From Heaven”, has a 40’s flair. Todd Suttles gets to show off a bit on a song that would translate well to the concert stage.
- Wes goes into falsetto mode on his stand out feature, “Livin’ In The Rhythm Of Grace”. This inspirational country-style tune is one that could find a home on Southern Gospel radio.
- Adam is featured on the modern country, praise/worship style song, penned by father Gerald Crabb; “You Amaze Me”. Adam originally recorded this song with his own group, Crabb Revival.
- Big production style songs are evident on We Have This Moment. Songs like “Hymn Of Praise” and “Man Of Sorrows” will please your palate, if you enjoy this style of song.
- Todd and Adam trade verses on the Bill and Gloria classic, “I’ll Worship Only At The Feet Of Jesus”.
- Kudos to Gordon Mote for co-producing We Have This Moment with Bill Gaither. Captured the excitement of a live Gaither Vocal Band experience on a studio recording.
- Strongest songs included in order: “Hallelujah Band”, “Manna From Heaven”, “Livin’ In The Rhythm Of Grace”, “Man Of Sorrows”, “You Amaze Me”, “Hymn Of Praise”, “We Are The Sands We Are The Stars” and “I’ll Worship Only At The Feet Of Jesus”.
- Another version of “Chain Breaker”. See the Freemans review from earlier in the week.
- The Gaither Vocal Band go all praise/worship on the Chris Tomlin cover, “Jesus Messiah”. No thank you.
- “We Are All God’s Children” also crosses too far on the inspirational spectrum to be enjoyable.
- Weakest songs included in order: “Jesus Messiah” and “We Are All God’s Children”.
The Gaither Vocal Band has consistently been the highest selling artist in Southern Gospel music, with each album release. I have no doubt We Have This Moment will also sell a ton of records for the group.
SONG/Featured Vocalist – Songwriter: 1. “Hallelujah Band”/Ensemble – Becca Mizell, Sam Mizell 2. “Man Of Sorrows“/Reggie; Ensemble – Phillip Bliss 3. “Livin’ In The Rhythm Of Grace“/Wes – William J Gaither, Larry Gatlin 4. “I’ll Worship Only At The Feet Of Jesus”/Todd; Adam; Reggie – Gloria Gaither, William J Gaither, JD Miller 5. “Chain Breaker”/Adam – Mia Fieldes, Jonathan Smith, Zach Williams 6. “Manna From Heaven”/Todd; Ensemble – Chip Davis, William J Gaither, Dony McGuire, Reba Rambo McGuire 7. “We Are The Sands, We Are The Stars”/Todd – Gloria Gaither, Dony McGuire, Reba Rambo McGuire 8. “We Are All God’s Children”/Ensemble – Benjy Gaither, Todd Suttles, Sarah Beth Terry 9. “Jesus Messiah”/Wes; Adam – Daniel Carson, Ed Cash, Jesse Reeves, Chris Tomlin 10. “You Amaze Me”/Adam – Gerald Crabb 11. “We Have This Moment Today”/Bill – Gloria Gaither, William J Gaither 12. “Hymn Of Praise”/Wes; Reggie – Gloria Gaither, William J Gaither, Gordon Mote