- Album: Hymns With Friends: Duets For Quiet Reflection
- Artist: Joseph Habedank
- Label: Daywind
- Style: Traditional
- Release Date: 09/21/18
- Digital Download: No
- Running Time: 33 Minutes
Today we take a look at the newest album from Joseph Habedank, Hymns With Friends: Duets For Quiet Reflection.
Habedank is the top solo artist in Southern Gospel music at the moment. The ten special guests he assembled to share a duet with him was nothing short of stellar.
What makes this more than just another generic hymns recording is making it a duets album and also the care that went into the production value.
- As the title suggests, this recording is filled with ten slow, reflective and at times somber songs.
- The highlight for me was his duet with Connie Hopper; “Sweet Hour Of Prayer”. While reflective, there is some power in the chorus when the two voices come together. Outstanding!
- Another stand out is his duet with wife, Lindsay, “I Need Thee Every Hour”. I would like to hear an entire duets album with just those two.
- Another great moment was the duet with Libbi Stuffle, “I Must Tell Jesus”. While the song has been recorded hundreds of times, it was nice hearing these two sing together again.
- The duet with Jim Brady, “Near The Cross”, is also a must listen.
- Strongest songs included in order: “Sweet Hour Of Prayer”, “I Need The Every Hour”, “I Must Tell Jesus”, “Near The Cross”, “His Eye Is On The Sparrow” and “Grace Greater Than Our Sin”.
- The biggest travesty is this album is not available via digital download/streaming. With all the songs in public domain, I can’t see the argument of having to pay royalties to songwriters.
- “The Love Of God” has been recorded way too many times.
- Weakest songs included in order: “The Love Of God”.
The main reason for the grade received is the album not being available for digital download/streaming. It is 2018 folks. Outside of that, the album definitely lives up to its title.
SONG (Tempo)/Duet Partner – Songwriter: 1. “His Eye Is On The Sparrow” (Slow)/Erwins – Charles Gabriel, Civilla Martin 2. “Sweet Hour Of Prayer” (Slow)/Connie Hopper – William Bradbury, William Walford 3. “The Love Of God” (Slow)/Scott Inman – Frederick Lehman 4. “I Need The Every Hour” (Slow)/Lindsay Habedank – Annie Hawks, Robert Lowry 5. “Grace Greater Than Our Sin” (Slow)/Charlotte Ritchie – Julia Johnston, Daniel Towner 6. “Does Jesus Care” (Slow)/Wes Hampton – Frank Graeff, Lincoln Hall 7. “I Must Tell Jesus” (Slow)/Libbi Stuffle – Elisha Hoffman 8. “Near The Cross” (Slow)/Jim Brady – Fanny Crosby, William Doane 9. “Pass Me Not” (Slow)/Brooklyn Blair – Fanny Crosby, William Doane 10. “Haven Of Rest” (Slow)/Bill Gaither – Henry Gilmour, George Moore