All the voting for the 5th annual Southern Gospel Views from the Back Row honors have now closed. I want to thank all my readers who participated this year. Here is an official announcement of all the winners.
AND THE 2018 WINNERS ARE:
Recorded Song of the Year (song recorded on a 2018 album, did not have to be a radio single)
- “Give Me Jesus” – Fanny Crosby, Ernie Haase, Wayne Haun, Joel Lindsey; recorded by Ernie Haase & Signature Sound (Clear Skies)
*A portion of a song started by Franny Crosby and finished by Ernie Haase, Wayne Haun and Joel Lindsey wins recorded song of the year.
Single of the Year (had to be on the radio singles chart from January to December 2018)
- “When The Prodigal Comes Home” – Lee Black; recorded by Tribute Quartet (Here For You)
*One of the greatest songs written in the last decade claims single of the year.
Song Cover of the Year (a previously recorded song covered on a 2018 album release)
- “Jesus Have Mercy On Me” – Down East Boys (One Day In The Past); Roger Horne
*The Down East Boys won by a thin margin over the Talleys (“Death Was Arrested”).
- Lee Black
*Congrats on another win for Lee Black.
- Ascending – LeFevre Quartet (New Day)
*The LeFevre Quartet were big winners this year, claiming nearly every category they were nominated.
- Clear Skies – Ernie Haase & Signature Sound
*One of the more unique categories is album cover design. A slick album cover adds something extra to a recording. Blake Bennett was responsible for the art direction/cover design to this year’s winning cover, Clear Skies.
- 3 Heath Brothers
*The 3 Heath Brothers had the largest margin of victory of any category in 2018.
- Greater Vision
*Greater Vision pulled out a close victory over 11th Hour.
*The Erwins captured mixed group of the year.
Artist – Quartet
- LeFevre Quartet
*The thinnest margin of victory was the LeFevre Quartet’s win over Triumphant. This was the LeFevre Quartet’s second win in the honors.
- Joseph Habedank
*Congrats to Joseph Habedank on another soloist win.
- Wendy Hayes (Mylon Hayes Family)
*Wendy Hayes of the Mylon Hayes Family captures her first win as alto vocalist of the year.
- Mike LeFevre (LeFevre Quartet)
*The LeFevre Quartet swept the quartet vocal categories. Mike LeFevre was best baritone.
- Keith Plott (LeFevre Quartet)
*Keith Plott would win best bass vocalist.
- Jordan LeFevre (LeFevre Quartet)
*Jordan LeFevre captures his first win as lead vocalist of the year.
- Karen Peck Gooch (Karen Peck & New River)
*Best soprano vocalist of 2018 is Karen Peck Gooch.
- Jeremy Peace (LeFevre Quartet)
*And Jeremy Peace finishes off the LeFevre Quartet sweep by winning tenor vocalist of the year.