- Album: Silhouette
- Artist: Wisecarvers
- Label: Skyland
- Style: Progressive; Modern Country
- Release Date: 09/28/18
- Digital Download: Yes (Apple Music)
- Running Time: 47 Minutes
Today, we take a look at the newest album from the Wisecarvers; Silhouette.
This marks the third recording from the family and Skyland Records (Crossroads). The Wisecarvers are a country band, as far as style. The music is built around the main vocalists in the group, Chase and Kaila.
The Wisecarvers are composed of Chase Wisecarver (lead vocalist), Kaila Wisecarver (alto/lead vocalist/pianist), Dustin Wisecarver (baritone vocalist/bass guitar), Vince Wisecarver (harmony/acoustic guitar) and Tammy Wisecarver (harmony).
- The family contributed to every new song on Silhouette. The only exception is the closing track, “Amazing Grace”.
- The country alto vocal of Kaila Wisecarver takes the lead on the stand out tracks from Silhouette. The mid tempo, “Jesus To Me” was the first song to hit my radar. This song is reminiscent of classic Crabb Family. This would make for a strong radio single possibility.
- The modern country sounds of the ballad, “Go Down Again” had a stand out melody and that alto vocal of Kaila makes it that much better.
- Lead vocalist Chase Wisecarver also has a recognizable country sound that lends to ballads like “Potter’s Wheel”. This deserves a listen.
- The first single from the album, the title track (“Silhouette”), is one of the only mid to up-tempo songs on the recording. For that reason alone, it makes for a must listen.
- A traditional country sounding ballad, “When You Look At Me” features Kaila and could do well at Southern Gospel radio.
- Strongest songs included in order: “Go Down Again”, “Jesus To Me”, “Potter’s Wheel”, “Silhouette”, “When You Look At Me”, “Begin With You” and “Manufactured Smiles”.
- While the cover of “Amazing Grace” showed off the band and allowed each member of the group some vocal time; it tended to seem like a filler compared to the rest of the recording.
- Nine of the twelve songs on Silhouette is in the slow to mid tempo range. It makes for a long listen where several songs tend to run together.
- Weakest songs included in order: “Amazing Grace” and “You Have My Attention”.
Do you enjoy your Southern Gospel with some country sounds? Were you a listener of classic Crabb Family? If you answered yes to both of those questions, then you need to introduce yourself to the Wisecarvers.
SONG (tempo)/Featured Vocalist – Songwriter: 1. “Begin With You” (Mid)/Chase – Chase Wisecarver, Kaila Wisecarver 2. “Jesus To Me” (Mid/Fast)/Kaila – Kaila Wisecarver 3. “Best Of Forever” (Slow)/Chase – Chase Wisecarver, Kaila Wisecarver 4. “When You Look At Me” (Slow)/Kaila – Kaila Wisecarver, Tammy Wisecarver 5. “Silhouette” (Mid/Fast)/Chase – Kaila Wisecarver 6. “You Have My Attention” (Slow)/Chase – Kaila Wisecarver 7. “Go Down Again” (Slow)/Kaila – Kaila Wisecarver 8. “Manufactured Smiles” (Mid)/Chase – Dustin Wisecarver 9. “Love You Still” (Mid/Fast)/Chase; Kaila – Kaila Wisecarver 10. “Someone Else’s Valley” (Slow)/Chase – Kaila Wisecarver, Tammy Wisecarver 11. “Potter’s Wheel” (Slow)/Chase – Dustin Wisecarver 12. “Amazing Grace” (Slow)/Instrumental with Ensemble Singing – Traditional