- Album: Now & Then Vol. 1
- Artist: Lore Family
- Label: Custom
- Style: Traditional
- Release Date: 10/20/17
- Digital Download: Yes (Apple Music)
- Running Time: 31 Minutes
Today, I want to review another album I missed reviewing in 2017, the Lore Family; Now & Then Vol. 1.
The Lore Family call Ohio home and hit the Southern Gospel scene with their 2014 album, Mount Testimony. Their traditional Southern Gospel mixed quartet sound is instantly refreshing. That sound is no more evident than with the release of Now & Then Vol. 1.
If you’re being introduced to the Lore Family, the vocal line-up includes Samuel (lead/some bass singing), Darren (baritone), Sandy (alto) and Fayth (soprano).
- This album was an absolute enjoyable walk down memory lane. I’m glad the group picked some classics that aren’t overly recorded.
- The best is a song originally recorded by the Telestials in 1977, “Free Indeed”. The Lore Family could release this version now and have a huge hit. Great song!
- You can’t beat Joel Hemphill’s classic, “Master Of The Wind”. Soprano vocalist, Fayth Lore, turns in a solid performance.
- The Lore Family honor the Wilburns and a song from their highly acclaimed 1990 album Alabama Lightning, “It’s Not So Hard To Praise Him”. This song should do well in the live concert setting.
- I commend how the Lore Family place their own arrangements on these classics, none more evident than Samuel’s performance of a Squire Parsons classic; “He Came To Me”.
- Also enjoyed the family’s performance of a traditional Southern Gospel quartet number, “When God’s Chariot Comes”.
- Strongest songs included in order: “Free Indeed”, “Master Of The Wind”, “It’s Not So Hard To Praise Him”, “When God’s Chariot Comes”, “Just Any Day Now/We Shall See Jesus”, “When I Receive My Robe And Crown” and “He Came To Me”.
- As with most albums of previously recorded music, there are a couple of songs that have been over recorded.
- “I’ve Got My Foot On The Rock”, “Until You’ve Known The Love Of God” and “When I Wake Up To Sleep No More” fall into that category.
- Weakest songs included in order: “I’ve Got My Foot On The Rock”.
This album made me notice the Lore Family more so than anything they’ve done in the past. Nearly every song from this recording has found a home in my playlists.
SONG (tempo)/Featured Vocalist – Songwriter: 1. “When I Receive My Robe And Crown” (Mid/Fast)/Ensemble – George Shuffler 2. “Free Indeed” (Mid)/Ensemble; Samuel; Darren – Beth Glass, Roger Holmes 3. “I’ve Got My Foot On The Rock” (Fast)/Fayth – Lavanul Sherrill 4. “He Came To Me” (Slow)/Samuel – Squire Parsons 5. “It’s Not So Hard To Praise Him” (Fast)/Darren – Jerry Don Stiles 6. “Master Of The Wind” (Slow)/Fayth – Joel Hemphill 7. “When God’s Chariot Comes” (Fast)/Ensemble – John Taylor 8. “Just Any Day Now/We Shall See Jesus” (Slow)/Darren; Sandy – Eddie Crook, Aaron Wilburn/Dianne Wilkinson 9. “When I Wake Up To Sleep No More/I’ll Have A New Life” (Fast)/Ensemble – Marion Easterling/Luther G Presley 10. “Until You’ve Known The Love Of God” (Slow)/Darren; Sandy – Rusty Goodman