- Album: Questions & Answers
- Artist: Mercy’s Well
- Label: Custom
- Style: Traditional, Progressive
- Release Date: 09/22/17
- Digital Download: Yes (Apple Music)
- Running Time: 41 Minutes
Today we take a look at the latest album from Mercy’s Well, Questions & Answers.
The North Carolina based trio took previously released songs and made them sound brand new. What also made the album so enjoyable is they mainly chose songs that haven’t been recorded 1,000 times before.
If you’ve never been introduced to the music of Mercy’s Well, the trio is composed of Brad Strider (tenor), Jake Wood (lead) and Greg Gainer (baritone).
- I so enjoyed hearing song covers that haven’t been over recorded. “At The Name Of Jesus” was first recorded by New Journey in 1993 and Glen Payne heard New Journey perform the song and had to record it himself, which the Cathedrals did (High And Lifted Up). Mercy’s Well makes the song sound like their own!
- Other artists, take note. “Who Am I” is not the only song written by Rusty Goodman. Mercy’s Well covers one of my favorite Rusty Goodman solo singles, “Jesus Knows All About It”. Hit repeat!
- The album kicks off with the trio covering a Hinsons song from 1979, “Who Do You Know”. I am not aware of any other artist ever covering this song. Again, Mercy’s Well makes it sound brand new!
- Of all the songs with the title “Jesus Saves”, again Mercy’s Well chooses one that has not been covered by other artists. The group goes with the song penned by Joel Hemphill and originally recorded by the Hemphills in 1986 (I Can Smile).
- The trio also takes Lanny Wolfe’s classic, “Seeking For Me” and absolutely gives it a new arrangement making for a strong Southern Gospel radio single choice.
- The first single from Questions & Answers is a Heaven Bound classic from 1985, “When We Make It To The Other Side”. An absolutely awesome Southern Gospel ‘barn burner’.
- The arrangements and song selection on Questions & Answers is some of the best I’ve heard in 2017!
- Strongest songs included in order: “At The Name Of Jesus”, “Jesus Knows All About It”, “Seeking For Me”, “Who Do You Know”, “Jesus Saves”, “When We Make It To The Other Side”, “Who Do You Think” and “Keeper Of The Well”.
- The group didn’t quite score 100% on the song cover choices. They did decide to record the over recorded “Sheltered In The Arms Of God”.
- Mercy’s Well also decided to record a Michael W Smith Praise/Worship song, “Shine On Us”, to close out the recording; that didn’t quite fit the rest of the album.
- Weakest songs included in order: “Sheltered In The Arms Of God” and “Shine On Us”.
Mercy’s Well knows what they are doing when it comes to recording previously recorded songs. This may be one of the best albums of song covers I’ve heard. It is also one of the most enjoyable listens of 2017!
SONG/Featured Vocalist – Songwriter: 1. “Who Do You Know”/Jake – Kenny Hinson, Larry Hinson, Ronny Hinson 2. “At The Name Of Jesus“/Greg – Pamela Hall 3. “Who Do You Think“/Ensemble; Jake – Don Reid, Harold Reid 4. “When We Make It To The Other Side”/Ensemble – Jeff Gibson 5. “Sheltered In The Arms Of God”/Brad – Jimmie Davis, Dottie Rambo 6. “Seeking For Me”/Jake; Brad – Lanny Wolfe 7. “Jesus Knows All About It”/Greg – Rusty Goodman 8. “Jesus Saves”/Brad – Joel Hemphill 9. “I’ll Be So Happy There”/Ensemble; Brad – Lari Goss 10. “Thinking About Home”/Jake – Terry Toler 11. “Keeper Of The Well”/Brad; Ensemble – Dottie Rambo 12. “Shine On Us”/Ensemble – Deborah Smith, Michael W Smith