- Album: Renewed
- Artist: Second-Half Quartet
- Label: Custom
- Style: Traditional
- Release Date: 06/02/17
- Digital Download: No
- Running Time: 39 Minutes
Today we take a look at the latest album from tribute band the Second-Half Quartet, Renewed.
The Second-Half quartet was formed to honor the heritage of the classic quartet sound with (4) singers and a piano player. This is the second album to be released by the group.
The Second-Half Quartet is composed of Chris Allman (tenor), Rodney Griffin (lead), Mark Trammell (baritone), Pat Barker (bass) and Gerald Wolfe (pianist).
- I would much prefer new songs done in this classic quartet style than so many song covers.
- The two new songs on Renewed are the best songs on the album. The album’s first radio single is the up-tempo, “During The Rapture”. The quartet harmonies are strong.
- The second new song is also an up-tempo number, “You’re Gonna Live When You Die”. This will end up at radio at some point considering it is the only other new song on the recording. Pat is able to show off on this particular number.
- Of the song covers found on Renewed, the quartet turns in a nice rendition of the Leroy Abernathy classic; “Miracles Will Happen On That Day”.
- I also enjoyed hearing the quartet cover the Dianne Wilkinson penned, “I’m In The Shadow”. Here is a song that has not been recorded 100 times before.
- There are better versions of the song out there, but Pat and Chris still make for an enjoyable listen on the group’s cover of “God Delivers Again”.
- Strongest songs included in order: “During The Rapture”, “You’re Gonna Live When You Die”, “Miracles Will Happen On That Day”, “I’m In The Shadow”, “God Delivers Again” and “Crown Him King”.
- Sadly with the majority of the song covers, my mind immediately went to the better version; either original or better cover.
- That happened with two Cathedral classics; “Sin Will Take You Farther” and “Wedding Music”.
- And I do not want to hear another cover of Rusty Goodman’s, “Who Am I”. If I want to hear this song I will queue up Rusty’s version.
- Weakest songs included in order: “Wedding Music”, “Who Am I” and “John The Revelator”.
This album is a tough call. By not being available for digital download, the listener doesn’t have the option of only adding the best songs from the album to their musical playlists. As already mentioned, I would have preferred new songs done in this classic quartet style than what was offered.
SONG/Featured Vocalist – Songwriter: 1. “During The Rapture”/Ensemble – Rodney Griffin, Scott Inman 2. “Crown Him King“/Ensemble – Luther G Presley, Wally Varner 3. “Wedding Music“/Ensemble; Pat – Phil Cross, Kirk Talley 4. “Alone In The Garden”/Ensemble – Theodore Sisk 5. “I’m In The Shadow”/Mark – Dianne Wilkinson 6. “God Delivers Again”/Pat; Chris – Mike Payne 7. “Miracles Will Happen On That Day”/Ensemble; Rodney – Leroy Abernathy 8. “Who Am I”/Pat – Rusty Goodman 9. “John The Revelator”/Ensemble – Rusty Goodman 10. “Sin Will Take You Farther”/Mark – Harold McWhorter 11. “You’re Gonna Live When You Die”/Pat – Chris Allman, Rodney Griffin 12. “Far Above The Starry Sky”/Ensemble; Chris – Theodore Sisk