- Album: Still
- Artist: Greater Vision
- Label: Daywind
- Style: Traditional
- Release Date: 08/04/17
- Digital Download: No
- Running Time: 44 Minutes
Today we take a look at the latest album from Greater Vision, Still.
Greater Vision is coming up on 27 years in Southern Gospel music. Still marks the 45th recording the group has given listeners in those 27 years.
Still also marks the first Greater Vision recording to not include Gerald Wolfe vocally. Instead, listeners are treated to newest vocal member Jon Epley.
- Chris Allman proves why he was voted favorite tenor vocalist at this year’s Singing News fan awards. He has all the best features on Still.
- The stand out track is the up-tempo, “Rolled Back Stone”. This Lee Black/Dianne Wilkinson co-write is a future hit in the making. Chris performs it perfectly.
- I can hear Marcia Henry’s touch on the Rodney Griffin co-write, “Nothing To See”. Kudos to the arrangers who decided to use a crying steel guitar on this country flavored song. Another Chris feature that I absolutely enjoy!
- Chris also performs his own composition, “God Doesn’t Care”. The message contained in this song makes it one of the strongest on the recording. God doesn’t care where you’ve been or what you’ve done.
- The album’s first radio single features and was also written by Rodney. “Still” is a proclamation type song that may very well top the Southern Gospel radio singles chart.
- Newest member, Jon Epley, takes the second verse on the up-tempo, “All The Above”. One you will want to add to your musical playlist.
- Its been 20 years since Greater Vision recorded “Common Garments”. Listeners are treated to a cover of what I consider to be one of Griffin’s greatest compositions.
- Strongest songs included in order: “Rolled Back Stone”, “God Doesn’t Care”, “Nothing To See”, “Still”, “All The Above”, “Common Garments”, “His Grave Wrote The Song” and “I Believe It All”.
- Greater Vision has decided not to make Still available for digital download; not even from their website. I still don’t understand the reasoning. I will venture to say that it will be made available at some point, but the newness of the recording will be long passed by then.
- Have to admit, I missed not having at least one Gerald feature on a Greater Vision recording. Will have to get used to that.
- Weakest songs included in order: “Forgiven By The Lord” and “Jesus Stood”.
Greater Vision has had a consistent trend of top-notch recordings. For any listener who thinks Greater Vision is past their prime recording years; I would have to argue the opposite. This decade has provided some of the trio’s strongest albums.
SONG/Featured Vocalist – Songwriter: 1. “There Is Hope”/Chris – Chris Allman, Rodney Griffin 2. “Still“/Rodney – Rodney Griffin 3. “Rolled Back Stone“/Chris – Lee Black, Dianne Wilkinson 4. “I Believe It All”/Ensemble; Chris – Janice Crow 5. “God Doesn’t Care”/Chris – Chris Allman 6. “His Grave Wrote The Song”/Ensemble; Jon – Rodney Griffin 7. “Jesus Stood”/Rodney – Rodney Griffin 8. “Forgiven By The Lord”/Chris – Chris Allman 9. “Common Garments”/Rodney – Rodney Griffin 10. “All The Above”/Ensemble; Jon – Rodney Griffin, Babbie Mason 11. “Nothing To See”/Chris – Rodney Griffin, Marcia Henry 12. “The Gospel”/Rodney – Chris Allman