- Album: Tower Of Song
- Artist: Freemans
- Label: Custom
- Style: Country
- Release Date: 08/11/17
- Digital Download: No
- Running Time: 39 Minutes
This week we take a look at the latest album from the Freemans, Tower Of Song.
The Freemans are about to celebrate 35 years in Southern Gospel music. In that 35 years this family has been consistent in the country gospel style they’ve provided listeners. That influence coming not only from Darrell’s family group, the Pathways but also Chris’ time spent with the Hinsons, in the 1970’s.
Tower Of Song is representative of that country gospel style.
- Darrell’s traditional country vocal could fit in with country legends Merle Haggard and Waylon Jennings. “Wide River To Cross” is the best representation of this classic country sound.
- One of the best radio singles of the entire year is “It Still Takes The Blood”. Also one of the best songs of the Freemans recording career!
- Long time member and keyboardist, Joe Freeman is featured on one of the best songs on Tower Of Song; “When He Loves Me Most”. The song was originally recorded on the group’s 2001 recording, Highway.
- Darrell provides his traditional country vocal on another stand out, “God Of The Storm”. This mid-tempo song would make a strong choice for radio single.
- The album closes on a fun note with the up-tempo “Send An Angel By My Way (King Jesus)”. The song was penned by Darrell and Joe’s uncle. This song is perfect for the concert stage.
- Can’t leave a Freemans review without mentioning Chris. Her best feature on Tower Of Song is the mid-tempo, “One Foot On The Water”.
- Dony McGuire and Michael Sykes helped Darrell on producing duties.
- Strongest songs included in order: “It Still Takes The Blood”, “When He Loves Me Most”, “Wide River To Cross”, “God Of The Storm”, “Send An Angel By My Way (King Jesus)”, “One Foot On The Water” and “God Put A Rainbow In The Clouds”.
- “Chain Breaker” is the 2017 song to be recorded by multiple artists. Why? While a good song, I don’t believe it is of the caliber that every group should jump on the bandwagon to get their own version out.
- I know she just released a solo EP, but I thought listeners would at least be treated with one Misty Freeman feature. Not so.
- Weakest songs included in order: “Chain Breaker” and “Tears Will Never Stain The Streets Of That City”.
Tower Of Song is traditional country sounds at its best. If you like that mixed with your Southern Gospel listening, you’ll want to find yourself a copy of Tower Of Song.
SONG/Featured Vocalist – Songwriter: 1. “It Still Takes The Blood”/Ensemble; Chris – Gerald Crabb 2. “God Of The Storm“/Darrell – Reba Rambo McGuire, Tery Wilkins 3. “Chain Breaker“/Darrell – Mia Fieldes, Jonathan Smith, Zach Williams 4. “One Foot On The Water”/Chris – Chip Davis, Dony McGuire, Reba Rambo McGuire 5. “When He Loves Me Most”/Joe – Wayne Carson, Rodney Lay Jr, Mike Richards 6. “She Sang The Fire Out Of It”/Chris – Jerry Salley, Kenna West 7. “Wide River To Cross”/Darrell – Buddy Miller, Julie Anne Miller 8. “God Put A Rainbow In The Clouds”/Darrell; Ensemble – Larry Petree 9. “Back To God”/Caylon – Dallas Davidson, Randy Houser 10. “Tears Will Never Stain The Streets Of That City”/Chris – Dottie Rambo 11. “Send An Angel By My Way (King Jesus)”/Ensemble – Joe Freeman