- Album: Be Brave
- Artist: McKameys
- Label: Horizon
- Style: Traditional, Appalachian
- Release Date: 06/09/17
- Digital Download: Yes (Apple Music)
- Running Time: 29 Minutes
This week we take a look at the new album from the McKameys, Be Brave. The album hit retail on Friday June 9th, 2017.
One thing McKamey fans can be sure of is an annual new recording from the group. Be Brave marks the 53rd album in the group’s career discography. That is impressive.
At this point in their career, the McKameys is not going to cover any new musical ground. McKamey fans can expect the same traditional, Appalachian musical style the group has been providing since the start.
- Sheryl shines on Be Brave. Not only with her rich alto vocal but also with the songwriting she provided the recording.
- The stand out track is a song Sheryl wrote and is featured; “Living For Eternity”. A nice mid-tempo number that should be considered for radio single.
- Sheryl backs that up with a nice ballad feature, the album’s title track; “Be Brave”.
- The McKameys give listener’s a convention style song to open the album, “So Good To Me”. This would make for a great concert opener in the live setting.
- The album closes on a strong note with the Connie feature, “Since When”.
- The album’s first single is a Roger Fortner feature, “For The Record”. He has been a go to recently as far as radio singles are concerned.
- With a running time of 29 minutes, you can listen to Be Brave twice in the time it takes to listen to most Southern Gospel albums once.
- Strongest songs included in order: “Living For Eternity”, “Be Brave”, “So Good To Me”, “Since When”, “For The Record” and “Jesus Passed By”.
- Of all songs to cover, why “Come Forth As Gold”? This song was first recorded on Sheltered (1995).
- Weakest songs included in order: “Come Forth As Gold” and “One Thing I Know”.
The McKameys remain consistent to their style, heritage and their loyal fan base. No need to ever paint outside that box.
SONG/Featured Vocalist – Songwriter: 1. “So Good To Me”/Ensemble – Tracy Jones 2. “Living For Eternity“/Sheryl – Sheryl Farris 3. “Come Forth As Gold“/Peg – Sandy Blythe 4. “It’s Mine”/Ruben; Connie – Rebecca Peck; Dianne Wilkinson 5. “Be Brave”/Sheryl – Sheryl Farris 6. “On And On”/Connie – Sheryl Farris 7. “For The Record”/Roger – Sheryl Farris 8. “One Thing I Know“/Peg – Sheryl Farris 9. “Jesus Passed By”/Sheryl – Sheryl Farris 10. “Since When”/Connie – Kristi Fitzwater, Tim Parton