- Album: Testament
- Artist: Perrys
- Label: Stow Town
- Style: Traditional, Progressive
- Release Date: 06/09/17
- Digital Download: Yes (Apple Music)
- Running Time: 36 Minutes
This week we take a look at the new album from the Perrys, Testament. The album hit retail on Friday June 9th, 2017.
The Perrys are celebrating 47 years in Southern Gospel music. Testament marks the third album released by Stow Town Records. The Perrys use Wayne Haun once again to produce Testament.
The 2017 edition of the Perrys are composed of Libbi Stuffle (alto/lead), Andrew Goldman (tenor/lead), Troy Peach (lead/baritone), Jared Stuffle (baritone) and Tracy Stuffle (bass).
- Libbi’s rich alto vocal has been the centerpiece of the Perrys sound for nearly 30 years. She has the top three stand out tracks on Testament.
- The best song on the album is the powerful, “I Will Pray”. Libbi conveys the message with conviction on this soon to be Wayne Haun/Joel Lindsey classic.
- The Perrys go back and cover the Primitive Quartet’s classic, “My Hope Is In The Blood”. Libbi takes the song to new heights.
- Libbi’s third masterpiece on the recording is another ballad, “Find Me Faithful”. This would make a strong radio single choice.
- Speaking of radio singles, the first from Testament is the stand out up-tempo song, “Moses And Elijah”. This song of rapture, penned by Rebecca Peck and Dianne Wilkinson will have you hitting repeat.
- The Perrys remind listeners of their convention style singing on the classic, “The Harder The Battle The Sweeter The Victory”.
- It was great hearing Tracy performing on the barn burner, “Lord Send Me”. While Jared turns in his finest performance to date on “Who I Could Have Been”.
- Kudos for including some crying steel guitar, heard on the Troy Peach feature, “Sing In The Valley”.
- Strongest songs included in order: “I Will Pray”, “My Hope Is In The Blood”, “Find Me Faithful”, “Moses And Elijah”, “Let’s Stop For A Moment”, “The Harder The Battle The Sweeter The Victory”, “Lord Send Me” and “Sing In The Valley”.
- The country-style, “It Carried Him” seemed out-of-place with the rest of the album.
- Weakest songs included in order: “It Carried Him”.
The Perrys have a winner with Testament. Could easily be one of the top album releases of 2017. It is the best album the Perrys have released with Stow Town Records.
SONG/Featured Vocalist – Songwriter: 1. “Let’s Stop For A Moment”/Ensemble; Andrew – Kyla Rowland 2. “I Will Pray“/Libbi – Wayne Haun, Joel Lindsey 3. “It’s Not Here To Stay“/Troy – ?? 4. “Find Me Faithful”/Libbi – Jeffrey Bumgardner, Joel Lindsey, Karen Peck Gooch 5. “Lord, Send Me”/Ensemble – Ronny Hinson 6. “Who I Could Have Been”/Jared – ?? 7. “Sing In The Valley”/Troy – ?? 8. “Moses And Elijah“/Andrew – Rebecca Peck, Dianne Wilkinson 9. “It Carried Him”/Andrew – Wayne Haun, Kirk Talley 10. “My Hope Is In The Blood”/Ensemble; Libbi – Reagan Riddle 11. “The Harder The Battle, The Sweeter The Victory”/Ensemble – Traditional