- Album: Something Good
- Artist: Kingdom Heirs
- Label: Sonlite Records
- Style: Traditional
- Release Date: 02/03/17
- Digital Download: Yes (Apple Music)
- Running Time: 33 Minutes
This week we take a look at the latest album from the Kingdom Heirs, Something Good. An album that seemed to be originally slated as a table project, but released on Sonlite Records.
The Kingdom Heirs continue to remain at the top of their game as it relates to giving listeners traditional Southern Gospel quartet music. Something Good is also the first Kingdom Heirs album to feature Loren Harris.
The 2017 edition of the Kingdom Heirs is composed of Jerry Martin (tenor), Arthur Rice (lead), Loren Harris (baritone), Jeff Chapman (bass), Andy Stringfield (pianist), Dennis Murphy (percussion) and Kreis French (bass guitar).
- The Kingdom Heirs may be the best they’ve ever sounded with Loren Harris in the group. He is the highlight of Something Good.
- The quartet have now recorded “Never Made A Promise” three times. On A New Look (2015) featuring Brian Alvey, on Carolina Live (2017) featuring Andy Stringfield and now on Something Good featuring Loren Harris. Third time is the charm as Loren’s version is the best.
- Loren also brings a couple of songs he recorded when he spent time with the Perrys. Both “Damascus Road” and “Calvary Answers For Me” are highlights.
- I enjoyed the Kingdom Heirs cover of “Better Hurry Up” to close out the recording. Great ensemble work!
- One can’t go wrong recording a cover of the Squire Parsons classic, “Master Of The Sea”.
- Jeff and Jerry trade verses on a nice version of the Ira Stanphill classic, “I Know Who Holds Tomorrow”.
- Strongest songs included in order: “Never Made A Promise”, “Damascus Road”, “Better Hurry Up”, “Master Of The Sea”, “Calvary Answers For Me” and “I Know Who Holds Tomorrow”.
- When an artist records a table project, the listener can expect songs that have been recorded a thousand times before. In this case the listener is treated to “I Just Feel Like Something Good Is About To Happen” and “How Long Has It Been”. Sadly, not long enough.
- Eerily, I thought I heard Libbi Stuffle on “Calvary Answers For Me”. I am certain they didn’t use the Perry’s recorded track??
- Weakest songs included in order: “How Long Has It Been” and “I’m Telling The World About His Love”.
For a table project, Something Good is quite enjoyable. Sonlite Records picking the album up makes me believe they were in a hurry to get something out with Loren Harris.
SONG/Featured Vocalist – Songwriter: 1. “I Just Feel Like Something Good Is About To Happen”/Ensemble; Arthur – William J Gaither 2. “I Know Who Holds Tomorrow“/Jeff; Jerry – Ira Stanphill 3. “Damascus Road“/Loren – Kyla Rowland 4. “Master Of The Sea”/Ensemble; Arthur – Squire Parsons 5. “I Want To Walk With My Lord”/Ensemble – Squire Parsons 6. “Calvary Answers For Me”/Loren – Joel Lindsey 7. “I’m Telling The World About His Love”/Ensemble – Kenneth Fulkerson 8. “How Long Has It Been“/Jerry – Mosie Lister 9. “Never Made A Promise”/Loren – Lee Black, Sue C Smith, Kenna Turner West 10. “Better Hurry Up”/Ensemble – James B Paris