Today continues a new series titled overrated. It looks at a current artist’s popularity (rated out of 100) vs current chart success/album releases (rated out of 100). The difference between their popularity score and chart success/album release score is where they fall on the overrated meter. The artist covered today is the Collingsworth Family.
CURRENT POPULARITY = 97
- The Collingsworth Family have become Southern Gospel’s biggest mixed group.
- The fan voted Singing News fan awards have given the Collingsworth Family favorite mixed group the last five years in a row.
- Kim Collingsworth’s piano playing has contributed more to the Collingsworth Family’s success than the music the group releases.
CURRENT CHART SUCCESS/ALBUM RELEASES = 64
- In pondering the music the Collingsworth Family is currently giving listeners, I score that 64 out of 100.
- The top album in the Collingsworth Family’s discography is the 2011 album, Part Of The Family.
- The Collingsworth Family didn’t pick up their first top ten song until November 2012 with the song, “Just Another Rainy Day”. Since that time they’ve had only two other top ten hits; “How Great Is Love For Me” (2015) and “What The Bible Says” (2016).
- The Collingsworth Family has yet to capture a #1 song on the Southern Gospel radio singles chart.
SCORE ON THE OVERRATED METER = +33
- This score represents that the Collingsworth Family is currently overrated by a net positive +33.