Today embarks on a new series titled overrated. It will look at a current artist’s popularity (rated out of 100) vs current chart success/album releases (rated out of 100). The difference between their popularity score and chart success/album release score is where they fall on the overrated meter. The first artist in the series is Ivan Parker.
CURRENT POPULARITY = 92
- It is no doubt that the Southern Gospel grandma’s who go to concerts still love them some Ivan Parker.
- The fan voted Singing News fan awards have given Ivan Parker favorite solo artist 14 of the last 16 years.
- Ivan will forever be associated with the song “Midnight Cry”.
CURRENT CHART SUCCESS/ALBUM RELEASES = 48
- In pondering the music Ivan Parker is currently giving listeners, I score that 48 out of 100.
- I would rate Ivan’s prime years (those years he was providing listeners his best music) between 2003 and 2006 with the releases of Just Imagine, Redeemer and Under Grace.
- Ivan Parker’s last top 10 song on the Southern Gospel radio singles chart came in July 2010, when “Keeper Of The Lost And Found” landed at #9.
SCORE ON THE OVERRATED METER = +44
- This score represents that Ivan is currently overrated by a net positive +44.