- Album – Dynamic
- Artist – Ball Brothers
- Label – Song Garden Music Group
- Style – Progressive, Jazz, R&B
- Release Date – 09/30/16
- Available For Digital Download? – Yes (Apple Music)
Today we take a look at the latest album from the Ball Brothers; Dynamic. The album hit retail on September 30th, 2016.
The Ball Brothers are celebrating their first decade in Southern Gospel music in 2016. Their sound has always been progressive Southern Gospel mixed with some jazz and little R&B for good measure.
The 2016 edition of the Ball Brothers is composed of Andrew Ball (tenor), Daniel Ball (lead), Chad McCloskey (baritone) and Matt Davis (bass).
- The group excel at taking former CCM songs and adding their own progressive, jazz ensemble work to them. The group’s harmony is some of the best you will find in Southern Gospel music.
- Daniel Ball has several stand out songs on Dynamic, the biggest being “Mercy Tree”. The group’s ensemble harmony work on the chorus’ is about as good as it gets.
- Daniel does the same with his feature on “Least I Can Do”.
- I’ve already mentioned the group’s ensemble harmony work. Their a cappella rendition of “I Shall Know Him” will leave you mesmerized.
- The album closes with “Jesus Cares For Me”. Another awesome ensemble arrangement that should be considered for Southern Gospel radio. This song has already been added to my musical playlists. Can’t get enough.
- The Ball Brothers channel a little Boyz II Men on “Hey Mama”. Andrew Ball’s tenor work is stunning.
- Strongest songs included in order: “Mercy Tree”, “Jesus Cares For Me”, “I Shall Know Him”, “Hey Mama”, “Least I Can Do”, “Let Your Light Shine” and “Count Your Blessings”.
- As great as Dynamic is, the group took on a few song covers that have been recorded more times than need be. “Happy Rhythm topping that list.
- I would have liked to hear new bass vocalist Matt Davis featured more. He adds that little something extra to the group’s sound.
- Weakest songs included in order: “Happy Rhythm”.
My readers already know how I beat up on artists that record albums of only song covers. While Dynamic was weighed down a bit with a couple covers, this album is one of the best recordings I have listened to in 2016. I am awed by the ensemble harmony work the Ball Brothers gives listeners. You need this album!
SONG/Featured Vocalist – Songwriter: 1. “Let Your Light Shine”/Ensemble – Andrew Ball, Daniel Ball, Darren Rust 2. “Victory In Jesus“/Daniel – Eugene Bartlett 3. “Mercy Tree“/Daniel – Michael Neale, Krissy Nordhoff 4. “Gentle Shepherd”/Andrew – Bill Gaither, Gloria Gaither 5. “I Shall Know Him”/Ensemble – Traditional 6. “Count Your Blessings”/Chad – Paul Lancaster, Buddy Mullins, Mark Willett 7. “Least I Can Do”/Daniel – Ashley Gorley, Scott Krippayne 8. “Happy Rhythm“/Ensemble – Mosie Lister 9. “Hey Mama”/Andrew – Chris Mackay, Toby McKeehan, Holly Marie Miller, Joseph Prielozny 10. “Jesus Cares For Me”/Ensemble – Thad Cockrell, Bart Millard