- Album – The Word Is Out
- Artist – Woodsmen Quartet
- Label – Custom
- Style – Traditional, Progressive
- Release Date – 09/09/16
- Available For Digital Download? – Yes (Apple Music)
Today we take a look at the latest album from the Woodsmen Quartet; The Word Is Out. The album hit retail on September 9th, 2016.
The Woodsmen Quartet is a regional quartet based in Indiana. They are working on 12 years providing listeners with traditional Southern Gospel quartet music.
The Woodsmen Quartet is composed of Daniel Rivera (tenor), Jim Hutson (lead), Tim Woods (baritone) and Steve Waggoner (bass).
- Newest tenor vocalist Daniel Rivera is the immediate stand out on The Word Is Out. Daniel is featured on the title track which is also the album’s first single. Many may remember this song from the Old Time Gospel Hour Quartet (2007).
- If not featured, the harmony work Daniel provides is apparent. The group turns in a strong cover of the Kingsmen’s, “The Cross Has Won Again”. This is a must listen!
- Lead vocalist Jim Hutson turns in a nice cover of a LordSong (Michael Lord) tune, “Trial Of The Heart”.
- The Woodsmen pull out a classic quartet song that, to my recollection, as not been recorded since the early 1970’s. “Go Down To The Jordan” is a fun song that will have you hitting repeat.
- As readers can already realize, all 11 songs found on The Word Is Out are covers. The quartet pick up a Karen Peck and New River song, “He’s Everything You Need” to create the best up-tempo song on the album. This song should be considered for radio single possibilities.
- Another classic quartet number, originally recorded by the LeFevres in 1964 allows bass singer Steve Waggoner to show off a bit. That song; “Shake The Master’s Hand”.
- Strongest songs included in order: “The Word Is Out”, “The Cross Has Won Again”, “Trial Of The Heart”, “He’s Everything You Need”, “Go Down To The Jordan”, “Hurting Hearts Need A Helping Hand” and “Shake The Master’s Hand”.
- Anytime a group decides to record an entire album of song covers, they will run in to the problem of not living up to the original.
- Such is the case with the Woodsmen Quartet’s covers of “One More River To Cross” and “By The Time They Find Me Missing”.
- Weakest songs included in order: “One More River To Cross” and “By The Time They Find Me Missing”.
I was pleasantly surprised with the music found on The Word Is Out. While all 11 songs have been recorded before, the Woodsmen Quartet create something that listeners will enjoy. The biggest highlight was the tenor vocal work by Daniel Rivera.
SONG/Featured Vocalist – Songwriter: 1. “Somebody Sing”/Ensemble; Steve – Cindi Ballard, Mary Ann Ballard 2. “The Word Is Out“/Daniel – Phil Cross, Tony Jarman 3. “Go Down To The Jordan“/Ensemble – Bennie Triplett 4. “By The Time They Find Me Missing”/Tim – Kenny Hinson 5. “Trial Of The Heart”/Jim – Michael Lord 6. “He’s Everything You Need”/Daniel – Susan Peck Jackson, John Darin Rowsey 7. “The Cross Has Won Again”/Ensemble – Larry Gatlin 8. “Shake The Master’s Hand“/Ensemble – Jimmy Jones 9. “Hurting Hearts Need A Helping Hand”/Daniel – Elmer Cole, Phil Cross 10. “One More River To Cross”/Tim – Bud Chambers 11. “Til The Storm Passes By”/Steve – Mosie Lister