- Album – Our Time
- Artist – Perkins Revival
- Label – Mansion Entertainment
- Style – Traditional, Progressive, County
- Release Date – 09/09/16
- Available For Digital Download? – Yes (Apple Music)
Today we take a look at the latest album from Perkins Revival; Our Time. The album hit retail on September 9th, 2016.
Some may remember a group out of Alabama, in the late 1980’s, known as the Perkins Family. They garnered hits, “Across The Bridge”, “In His Time”, “What A Wonderful Day” and “When It’s My Time”.
Nearly 30 years later, Ricky Perkins (tenor) is joined by Donnie Marr (lead), Trey Marr (baritone) and Johny Washburn (bass) to bring listeners new quartet, Perkins Revival.
- If you followed the music of the original Perkins Family, you know the sound was built around tenor, Ricky Perkins. That has not changed with Perkins Revival.
- Ricky penned 6 of the 11 songs found on Our Time. The stand out track happens to be the first radio single; “Climb Any Mountain”. The stand out line in the song is ‘You Can Climb Any Mountain Because He Walked Up One Hill’.
- The group goes back and re-records their first single, “What A Wonderful Day”. I like the quartet arrangement given the song on Our Time.
- Lead vocalist Donnie Marr is also featured on the album’s closing track, a cover of Ronny Hinson’s, “Something Keeps Pulling Me Home”. A nice country sound fits this song perfectly.
- The Crabb Family had a huge hit in the late 1990’s with the song “When It’s My Time”. The Perkins Family was the first to record and chart the song in 1991. Listeners are treated to a nice cover on Our Time.
- Perkins Revival cover another song found on the Perkins Family’s first album, “Lord Let Me Walk Another Mile For You”. Bass vocalist, Johny Washburn takes the feature on the first verse while Donnie Murr takes the second. This song is worth a listen!
- Strongest songs included in order: “Climb Any Mountain”, “What A Wonderful Day”, “Something Keeps Pulling Me Home”, “When It’s My Time”, “Lord Let Me Walk Another Mile For You”, “The Race” and “Caught Up Carried Away”.
- Some may remember a song out in the late 1980’s titled “Dear Mr Jesus”. It was sung by a young girl and was out around Christmas time. Perkins Revival has a song similar on Our Time titled “Mister, Mister”. Just doesn’t fit with the rest of the album.
- Being a new quartet, the listener can hear room for growth but Our Time is a solid first effort.
- Weakest songs included in order: “Mister, Mister” and “It’s Not Over Till God Says It’s Over”.
Our Time by Perkins Revival was an enjoyable listen. Being familiar with the original Perkins Family added to the enjoyment of hearing some of their original songs re-done. Below I’ve provided a clip of the original Perkins Family and a song from Perkins Revival, Our Time.
SONG/Featured Vocalist – Songwriter: 1. “Climb Any Mountain”/Ricky – Ricky Perkins 2. “When It’s My Time“/Ricky – Chris White 3. “Lord Let Me Walk Another Mile For You“/Johny; Donnie – Ricky Perkins 4. “Only Jesus”/Johny – Ricky Perkins 5. “It’s Not Over Till God Says It’s Over”/Trey – Charles Crabtree 6. “What A Wonderful Day”/Donnie – Ricky Perkins 7. “The Race”/Ricky – PD 8. “Mister, Mister“/Johny – Ricky Perkins 9. “Love Can Do A Lot Of Things”/Ricky – Ricky Perkins 10. “Caught Up Carried Away”/Donnie – Debbie Davis 11. “Something Keeps Pulling Me Home”/Donnie – Ronny Hinson