- Album – Strength Renewed
- Artist – Anchormen
- Label – Custom
- Style – Traditional
- Release Date – 07/08/16
- Available For Digital Download? – Yes (Apple Music)
The Anchormen may very well have the best vocal line-up in over twenty years. The 2016 edition of the Anchormen is composed of Chris Jenkins (tenor), Phillip Hughes (lead), Terry Carter (baritone) and Will Lane (bass).
For all you traditional quartet music lovers who think traditional Southern Gospel music is being overlooked need to look no further than this newest recording from the Anchormen.
Strength Renewed is a ten song collection of mostly song covers, but many done in a way that they sound new.
- The Anchormen are at the best on the song, “The Hand Of The Lord”. Chris takes the second verse and knocks it out of the park. I was impressed with Chris in his time spent with the Kingsmen. The Anchormen have picked up one of the best tenors in the industry. Send this song to radio now!
- Chris takes command of another stand out track, “I Heard About A Man”. Fans have taken notice as Chris was among the top ten contenders in this year’s Singing News Fan Awards. He keeps singing like this it won’t be his last.
- I am a sucker for a nice up-tempo traditional Southern Gospel quartet song. There have been plenty throughout the genre’s history. The Anchormen go back and cover a classic, classic. One song old enough that it sounds brand new. You have to hear, “I’m Ready” and good luck if you don’t end up repeating this song several times before finishing the recording.
- It was good to see Terry Carter, an original member of the group, return several years ago. He defines the Anchormen, in my opinion. My first memories of the Anchormen in the late 1980’s was Terry’s emcee work and commanding baritone vocal. Terry is featured on the album’s opening number, “Walking On”. Another fun up-tempo song that will have you singing along.
- Congrats to the Anchormen on producing/releasing a recording they can be proud of. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this newest effort.
- Strongest songs included in order: “The Hand Of The Lord”, “I’m Ready”, “Walking On”, “I Heard About A Man”, “I’m Gonna Run” and “Wherever I Am”.
- Will Lane is a very talented bass singer. He is featured on three classics; “Thank You Lord For Your Blessings”, “Run On” and “The Blood Will Never Lose It’s Power”. How many times have these songs already been recorded, especially “Run On”.
- Weakest songs included in order: “Run On” and “Thank You Lord For Your Blessings”.
There have been some decent Southern Gospel quartet recordings released thus far in 2016. You can add the Anchormen’s, Strength Renewed to that list. Give it a listen, you won’t be disappointed.
SONG/Featured Vocalist – Songwriter: 1. “Walking On”/Ensemble; Terry – Michael Wayne Smith 2. “Thank You Lord For Your Blessings“/Will – James Easter 3. “Hand On The Plow”/Phillip – Shane Roark 4. “I Heard About A Man”/Chris – Paul Rhoden 5. “Run On”/Will – Traditional 6. “I’m Ready”/Ensemble – David Hill 7. “Wherever I Am”/Phillip – Shara McKee 8. “The Hand Of The Lord“/Ensemble; Chris – John Mathis, Rebecca Peck 9. “I’m Gonna Run”/Phillip – Traditional 10. “The Blood Will Never Lose It’s Power”/Will – Andrae Crouch
*Video Credit (The Anchormen – Topic)