It is time to step back in to Southern Gospel radio chart history; this time, forty-six years to May 1970. The Singing News began publishing a radio singles chart in January of 1970, so this was only the fifth chart released for the publication.
A trio, by the name of the Orrells, would garner their highest charting radio single in May 1970 when, “Going Home” landed at #3. This now classic Bill and Gloria Gaither penned tune was first being heard during this time. The song was found on the Orrells 1969 album, Sings It Like It Is.
Other May 1970 Happenings:
- The first female jockey participated in the Kentucky Derby.
- The NY Knicks beat the LA Lakers in the NBA championship.
- Long & Winding Road was the last Beatles release in America.
- Ernie Banks hit his 500th home run while Hank Aaron earned his 3000th hit.
- Al Unser won the Indianapolis 500.
*Video Credit (Southern Gospel Views from the Back Row)