- Album – Keep Breathing
- Artist – Jody McBrayer
- Label – Stow Town Records
- Style – Progressive, Inspirational, Pop
- Release Date – 02/12/16
- Available For Digital Download? – Yes (Apple Music/Spotify)
Many Gospel music listeners already know Jody spent twelve years with CCM artist, Avalon. He departed the group in 2007 and has been doing solo work since.
On February 12th, 2016, Jody teamed with Stow Town Records to release Keep Breathing. This is Stow Town’s first venture with an artist not already established among Southern Gospel music listeners.
Jody McBrayer will also be one-third of new trio Cana’s Voice. This trio will be composed of McBrayer, Taranda Greene and Doug Anderson. An album from the trio is also expected sometime in 2016.
- Jody’s soaring tenor vocal will endear him to Southern Gospel enthusiasts. The stand out track is the Wayne Haun/Joel Lindsey penned, “Me”. This progressive Southern Gospel style tune would work well on Southern Gospel radio. Jesus did everything for me, in spite of me. Love it!
- Another progressive tune is a Sue C Smith collab with March Each; “He Gave Me More Love”. I would label this song the most Southern Gospel friendly on the recording. I have already made it a part of my musical playlists.
- You shouldn’t be surprised I chose the songs to be most Southern Gospel friendly as the stand out tracks. I am writing a Southern Gospel blog. With that said, another strong progressive Southern Gospel style worth a listen is “What It Takes To Be A Savior”.
- That song follows an inspirational (think Sandi Patty) style number, “Only You (I Speak Your Name)”. Jody’s power house voice is evident on this type song. I can’t wait to hear Cana’s Voice come together and record an album. With Jody and Taranda’s vocals mixed with Doug’s baritone. It ought to be nothing less than stellar.
- Two more inspirational songs you need to notice is “With Each Borrowed Breath” and “God Is In Control”, a song that features Melissa Greene.
- Strongest songs included in order: “Me”, “He Gave Me More Love”, “What It Takes To Be A Savior”, “Only You (I Speak Your Name)”, “With Each Borrowed Breath” and “God Is In Control”.
- There were three CCM tunes that didn’t ping my radar. They weren’t bad songs, just not to my liking stylistically.
- Weakest songs included in order: “When We Look Back” and “This Is A Son”.
As already mentioned, Jody McBrayer’s soaring tenor vocal should endear him to Southern Gospel listeners. There is plenty on Keep Breathing for even the staunchest of Southern Gospel listeners to enjoy.
SONG (Style) – Songwriter: 1. “Good To Be Home” (Progressive SG) – Andrew Creighton Dodd, Adam Watts 2. “Only You (I Speak Your Name)” (Inspirational) – Wayne Haun, Joel Lindsey 3. “What It Takes To Be A Savior” (Progressive SG) – Jeff Bumgardner, Ed Stivers 4. “God Is In Control” (Inspirational) – Gary Driskell 5. “Keep Breathing” (CCM) – Jeff Bumgardner, Wayne Haun, Joel Lindsey, Jody McBrayer 6. “In The Presence Of Jesus” (CCM) – Michael Farren, Wayne Haun, Tony Wood 7. “Me” (Progressive SG) – Wayne Haun, Joel Lindsey 8. “With Each Borrowed Breath” (Inspirational) – Kristian Stanfill, Tony Wood 9. “When We Look Back” (CCM) – Justin Ebach, David Frey, Ben McDonald 10. “He Gave Me More Love” (Progressive SG) – Marcy Each, Sue C Smith 11. “This Is A Son” (Inspirational) – Chris Binion, Joel Lindsey, Don Pardoe