Welcome to 2016! First official new post of the new year is a little Southern Gospel tidbits. I thought I would provide some Southern Gospel predictions for 2016. What do you think? What are some predictions you have for Southern Gospel music for 2016?
- With the half-dozen albums coming out in January and those slated for first quarter 2016; I am going to go ahead and say 2016 will top 2015 in terms of Southern Gospel album releases.
- Amber Nelon Thompson will finally win her first soprano vocalist award from Singing News readers (I’ll stuff the ballot box if I have to).
- Brian Free & Assurance will call it quits.
- Canton Junction will decide to do an actual tour (not just six dates).
- Some artist will continue to cash in on the Cathedral name.
- The Kingsboys will come together for a reunion tour only to realize they are all now retirement age.
- The Collingsworth Family will still be Southern Gospel’s favorite group without a #1 song. Leonardo DeCaprio knows how you feel (Oscar anyone).
- The Singing Cookes will choose to record another song about mama.
- The new Crabb Family tour will have limited tour dates, until they come together in two more years for another Crabb Family tour.
- With the number of personnel changes each group experiences, the Dixie Echoes and Dixie Melody Boys will merge in to The Dixie Melody Echoes.
- Ernie Haase & Signature Sound will release another landmark album that Southern Gospel listeners will totally ignore.
- Bill Gaither will remain with the Vocal Band, but only to provide his signature vocal, “boom”, “boom”, “boom”.
- Gold City will finally realize they are not Gold City without Tim Riley and change the name of the current group.
- Candy Christmas, Sheri Easter and Tanya Goodman Sykes will come together to record another Heirloom album.
- The Inspirations announce their retirement.
- Ivan Parker kicks off his 2016 tour by not wearing his signature hairpiece and everyone in the audience keeps asking each other who is on stage.
- Karen Peck & New River will celebrate their 25th anniversary by opening and closing their set with “Four Days Late” every night.
- Scott Fowler will find Benjamin Franklin’s book of secrets and sell it at NQC by providing quotes from everyone but Ben Franklin.
- The Ruppes will record their first album in over a decade.
- Tribute Quartet will finally pay Tribute to Tribute and release a greatest hits album.
*In all seriousness, I hope you all have a wonderful 2016 and I am going to leave you with this new song that is already promising to be a big hit for the Wisecarvers in 2016; “Just To Save Me”.
*Video Credit (#TheWisecarvers)