- Album – That Day Is Coming
- Artist – Collingsworth Family
- Label – Stow Town Records
- Style – Traditional, Progressive
- Release Date – 09/25/15
- Available For Digital Download? – Yes (Apple Music/Spotify)
Reigning Southern Gospel mixed group of the year released their newest effort, That Day Is Coming several weeks ago.
The Collingsworth Family continue to use big orchestrated productions along with their six member vocal configuration.
The Collingsworth is still looking for that elusive mega-hit song to top the charts. Does That Day Is Coming provide that song? Lets find out.
- The stand out track on That Day Is Coming happens to be the group’s latest radio single. One of the few up-tempo songs on the album, “What The Bible Says” will have you singing along before the song is complete. Phillip turns in a nice performance.
- Brooklyn and Courtney share the lead on the stand out ballad, “He Will Abide”. Rachel McCutcheon helped pen eight of the thirteen songs on That Day Is Coming. “He Will Abide” is definitely the strongest.
- Kim is not only an extraordinary pianist but she is also an accomplished vocalist. She turns in a nice performance on “When He Carries Me Away”. Expect the big vocal punch near the end of the song that the Collingworth Family are known.
- The youngest Collingsworth, Olivia, turns in her best performance to date on a recording with the mid-tempo “I Love Living In Love With Jesus”. This would make a strong radio single choice.
- Another major Collingsworth ballad worth mentioning is “Ever Faithful”.
- One things listeners can expect from a Collingworth Family album is great production work.
- Strongest songs included in order: “What The Bible Says”, “He Will Abide”, “When He Carries Me Way”, “I Love Living In Love With Jesus”, “Ever Faithful”, “Redeemer Of The Rain” and “That Day Is Coming”.
- When you have ten mid to slow tempo songs on a thirteen song album, the listener can become fatigued by the end. I found that to be the case while listening to That Day Is Coming.
- The Collingsworth Family recorded two song covers back to back with “There’s Still Power In The Blood” (Talleys) and “Wherever You Are” (Martins). Neither came close to the original recordings.
- Sometimes the orchestrations are just too much.
- Weakest songs included in order: “Wherever You Are”, “There’s Still Power In The Blood” and “Awesome, Magnificent”.
Another album, another missed opportunity at that elusive mega-song. That Day Is Coming has enough strong moments to keep Collingsworth Family fans happy until the next recording. The strongest songs on the album are worth a listen.
SONG/Featured Vocalist – Songwriter: 1. “Awesome, Magnificent”/Ensemble – Rachel McCutcheon 2. “I Love Living In Love With Jesus“/Olivia – Rachel McCutcheon 3. “That Day Is Coming”/Ensemble – Karen Gillespie, Rachel McCutcheon 4. “He Will Abide”/Brooklyn; Courtney – Rachel McCutcheon, Dianna Norton 5. “Ever Faithful”/Ensemble – Jeff Bumgardner, Joel Lindsey 6. “There’s Still Power In The Blood”/Phil – Kirk Talley 7. “Wherever You Are”/Courtney – Joel Lindsey, Joyce Martin, Harrie McCollough 8. “You’re About To Climb”/Brooklyn – Helga Kaefer, Rachel McCutcheon 9. “What The Bible Says”/Phillip – Valerie Dacus, Randall Garland, Wayne Haun 10. “Gotta Get To Jesus”/Courtney – Karen Gillespie, Helga Kaefer, Rachel McCutcheon 11. “Saints Love To Sing About Heaven”/Brooklyn – Rachel McCutcheon 12. “When He Carries Me Away”/Kim – Adina Bowman, Rachel McCutcheon 13. “Redeemer Of The Rain”/Brooklyn; Phillip – Lee Black, Dixie Phillips, Sharon Phillips