It was announced that late Monday evening, Carroll McGruder passed from this life in to the next. After a hard-fought battle with cancer, Carroll entered in to Heaven. Carroll was founding member of the family group, the McGruders.
The group burst on the scene in the late 1980’s and found a decade of success with several huge live recordings; most notably Come Fly. That 1990 recording remains one of the greatest live albums in the history of the genre, defining an era in the Southern Gospel industry I labeled, ‘high energy’.
For current listeners that were not around to experience the McGruders, Carroll’s songs have remained strong including a #1 hit for Triumphant Quartet several years ago; “Saved By Grace”. And for others not familiar with the McGruders, you are certainly familiar with the catalog of hit songs Carroll has written. They include:
- “I Lean On You Lord” – this was Carroll’s first composition to reach #1 in the Singing News chart. The Florida Boys took the song to #1.
- “I’m Going Home With Jesus” – Undoubtedly the most popular McGruders song. Was the McGruders only career #1 song on the Singing News chart, which happened in 1990. Most recently this song has been a concert show stopper for the Nelons.
- “Thanks” – Speaking of the Nelons, their huge hit from 1988 was a Carroll McGruder composition.
- “I’ve Just Started Living” – I’m sure everyone remembers this monster song from the Cathedrals.
- “We Have A Savior” – In addition to Triumphant’s success with “Saved By Grace”, the Bowling Family had a huge hit several years ago with “We Have A Savior”.
Now that Carroll has received his ultimate reward, we are fortunate enough to have his body of work to continue to lift us up on the not so good days and feel like shouting down the walls on the good. No greater words than those from Carroll himself;
…”When I reach that city, the gates swing open wide. I’m gonna sing redemption’s story of how he brought me from the other Side”…
*Video Credit (Southern Gospel Views from the Back Row)
*Video Credit (gospelvideohub)
*Video Credit (BnCSGMusic)
*Video Credit (themcgruders)