Just one night remains for the 2014 edition of the National Quartet Convention. This was also the first year in many that Friday’s program didn’t include the Gaither Vocal Band. So how did a Gaitherless NQC Friday night go? Let’s find out.
- Tonight was filled with some nice single song moments, but I don’t know if any artist pulled together an entire set that stands out.
- If there was any it was the Isaacs. After losing their grandmother earlier that day, the Isaacs siblings still presented the listening audience with some powerful, heartfelt singing. “If That Isn’t Love” was phenomenal.
- The Erwins definitely proved they deserve an entire set next year. These kids are the next big thing in Southern Gospel music.
- I was surprised after getting a three song set last year, 11th Hour was reduced to one song this year. I am so glad they sang one of my favorite songs of 2014; “How Will You Plead”.
- You can tell the week is winding down. A lot of worn out voices could be heard tonight.
- I am going to go out on a limb and say Jason Crabb’s set was promoting a new album. At first I thought he was attempting a tribute to Hank Williams Sr.
- I will say that I missed the Gaither Vocal Band at NQC. While Ernie Haase & Signature Sound and Canton Junction both had nice sets, it still didn’t make up for the Vocal Band’s absence.
- It was bittersweet that this was the last NQC appearance of Jim Brady with the Booth Brothers. We know how much Southern Gospel listening audiences like change. How much of a hit to the group’s dominance will this create, if any. Time will tell.
**Now to crown the best of the night:
Best single song performances (in order of appearance): (1) “Undeserved” – McKameys (2) “Crumbs From The Table” – Dixie Echoes (3) “I Made It By Grace” – Erwins (4) “If That Isn’t Love” – Isaacs (**Favorite song performance of the evening) (5) “His Life For Mine” – Talleys (6) “All Is Well” – Whisnants (7) “The Son Shines Down On Me” – Canton Junction (8) “This Blood” – Triumphant Quartet (9) “Scars In The Hands Of Jesus” – Diplomats (10) “Tell Me” – Booth Brothers (11) “How Will You Plead” – 11th Hour (12) “Oh Yes I Am” – Kingsmen
Best Set of the Night: Tonight I literally threw a couple of names in a hat and drew one out. It looks like the Isaacs will get best set.