One of the regular features of Southern Gospel Views from the Back Row is the definitive Southern Gospel collection. I take a look at what I feel to be the (20) best albums released in Southern Gospel for the year selected. This edition takes a look at the year 1991. Out of a list of (64) albums, I narrowed it down to twenty.
Gold City was dominating the Singing News Fan Awards, in 1991, winning favorite group and sweeping all the male vocal categories. Gold City also picked up album of the year for the 1990 release, Windows Of Home. New quartet, Perfect Heart, came out of the gate winning song of the year for “Somebody Touched The Lord” while also picking up horizon group of the year.
The 1991 Dove Awards saw the Talleys winning Southern Gospel recorded song for “He Is Here”, while the Cathedrals won Southern Gospel album for Climbing Higher And Higher. The Gaither Vocal Band nabbed the Grammy in 1991 for best Southern Gospel album (Homecoming).
Here are the (20) best albums released in Southern Gospel music for the year 1991:
- Homecoming – Gaither Vocal Band (StarSong)
- Heavenly Sunrise – Hoppers (Sonlite)
- The Best Of Times – Cathedrals (Homeland)
- Wish You Were Here – Kingsmen (RiverSong)
- Unmistakably – McGruders (Sonlite)
- Answer The Call – Gold City (RiverSong)
- Carolina Live – Greenes (ACA)
- On A Journey – Greater Vision (Benson)
- Going Back – Freemans (Calvary)
- Once In A Lifetime – Bishops (MorningStar)
- Looking For The Wounded – Perfect Heart (Mark Five)
- Uncommon Love – Heirloom (Benson)
- Live In Springfield Missouri – Heaven Bound (RiverSong)
- Shoulder To Shoulder – Mid South Boys (Word)
- A New Generation – Nelons (Canaan)
- Heavenly Rain, Showers Of Blessing – Perry Sisters (MorningStar)
- Karen Peck & New River – Karen Peck & New River (Pinnacle)
- 20th Anniversary – Isaacs (MorningStar)
- Roll Away The Stone – Wendy Bagwell & Sunliters (Canaan)
- Against The Odds – Mullins (Pinnacle)
Listen to a mash-up of music from the best albums of 1991. Enjoy!