- Album – More Than Enough
- Artist – Master’s Voice
- Label – Custom
- Style – Traditional, Progressive
- Release Date – 06/11/13
- Available For Digital Download? – No
Be prepared because there are a slew of album reviews coming over the next couple of weeks. Today’s review features newer Southern Gospel trio, Master’s Voice.
As is the case with most new artists, I became introduced to Master’s Voice music via radio and the song “I Know What He Did For Me” in 2009. Master’s Voice is a male trio composed of Ricky Capps (tenor), Justin Morphis (lead) and Joey Johnson (baritone). Many listeners may not be familiar with Master’s Voice considering they are based in Oklahoma and their lack of touring in the Southeast.
Over the summer, the group released their newest album, More Than Enough. This album is a 14 song collection filled with mainly covers. Master’s Voice takes a traditional Southern Gospel approach and adds a little progressive Southern Gospel with More Than Enough.
- As a listener of previous Master’s Voice albums, I have to wonder if More Than Enough was originally recorded before new lead vocalist Justin Morphis joined the group. More than half the recording sounds as though former lead vocalist Jonathan Drew is featured on the songs. Either that or he and Justin have eerily similar vocal tones. I will list Justin as featured vocalist below but note that several could be Jonathan Drew.
- That little tidbit doesn’t take away from how enjoyable this album was to listen. Traditional Southern Gospel fans would love this recording.
- The two stand out tracks on More Than Enough are Master’s Voice cover of the Hinson classic, “I Won’t Walk Without Jesus” and the classic, “I’m Under The Blood”. The latter would make a strong radio single choice.
- Tenor Ricky Capps has a pleasant tone that enhances the overall performance of “Peace Like A River” and “Put That On My Account”.
- Master’s Voice turns in a stellar cover of the McRae’s #1 hit, “He Knows My Name”. The powerful lead vocal on this cut is worth several listens before moving on to the rest of the album.
- Two more cuts that deserve a mention are “Pray Through Me” and “Jesus Is More Than Enough”.
- Strongest songs included in order: “I Won’t Walk Without Jesus”, “I’m Under The Blood”, “Peace Like A River”, “Pray Through Me”, “Jesus Is More Than Enough”, “He Knows My Name” and “I’m Going To A City”.
- From an individual that believes every album released in the year 2013 should be available for digital download and this one is not; it only limits the amount of listeners you could introduce to your music as an artist.
- There were several covers that didn’t match the caliber of the rest of the album. The biggest being another cover of “God Bless The USA”. I find it difficult to listen to a song like this considering all that is going on in this nation at the moment.
- Also, the group didn’t add anything to their cover of the Perry’s classic, “I Remember The Day”.
- Weakest songs included in order: “God Bless The USA”, “I Remember The Day” and “I Know That I Know”.
Master’s Voice is a Southern Gospel trio worth giving a listen. They add something a bit different (in their vocal approach) that separates them from the many carbon copy type artists found in Southern Gospel music. There are several songs from More Than Enough that will find a home in my iPod for months to come.
SONG/Featured Vocalist – Songwriter: 1. “I’m Looking For Jesus To Come”/Justin – Wansley Lee 2. “I Won’t Walk Without Jesus“/Justin – Ronny Hinson 3. “He Knows My Name”/Justin – Annie McRae 4. “Peace Like A River”/Ricky – Dianne Wilkinson 5. “Pray Through Me”/Justin – Jim Davis, Rick Simpson 6. “No Back Roads”/Justin – Ben Scroggs 7. “Jesus Is More Than Enough”/Joey – Glyndon Sparkman 8. “Put That On My Account”/Ricky – Tommy Hayes 9. “I Know That I Know”/Justin – Debra Thompson 10. “I’m Going To A City”/Ensemble; Joey – James Caldwell 11. “There’s Something About The Word Grace”/Joey – Linda Hylton 12. “I Remember The Day”/Ensemble; Ricky – Mary Spencer 13. “God Bless The USA”/Justin – Lee Greenwood 14. “I’m Under The Blood”/Ensemble; Joey – Roland Perry
**For those that have not been introduced to the music of Master’s Voice, here is a YouTube clip (published by dasahuikko) of the current group performing “He Knows My Name”. Enjoy!