I watched the Singing News fan awards, via online streaming, Wednesday (10/03/12). While I am not a big supporter of awards shows I thought the program was well done, from a production stand point. In watching the awards being handed out and seeing mostly the same winners as in previous years and getting a few new winners (Collingsworth Family winning their first mixed group award), I was pondering why ‘fans’ tend to vote a certain way for years.
This is not a new trend. It has been going on since the Singing News had a fan awards. Fans get stuck on one artist for a specific period of time (Inspirations/1970’s, Gold City/1980’s, Cathedrals/1990’s, Booth Brothers/now). So, I want to open the floor for discussion and go ahead and ask you, the fan the following questions.
- What is it about a certain artist that will cause you to continue to vote for them year after year?
- What finally makes you decide that it is time to vote for someone else?
- Does personnel changes in your favorite group cause you to switch your vote?
- As a fan, do you mainly have one favorite artist with a bunch of other groups you like but they will never match your favorite?
- As a fan, do you enjoy getting to know new artists music or do you choose to stick with your few favorites?
- Anything else you as a fan would like to add.
I know I am a rare breed of fan in that I can never pin point a favorite artist at any given time. Maybe it is because I see so many artists in a given year and listen to a whole lot of music from many different artists in a given year. When it comes to award shows, my votes change annually based on what I am liking at that specific moment. The floor is open.