I had the pleasure of seeing and hearing one of the nicest families in the southern gospel industry – the Mylon Hayes Family. Mylon, of course, is a member of the Hayes Family, which has been touring less in the last year or so since Howard’s death. That has allowed for some opportunities for Mylon and his wife and children to be able to do some singing of their own. The children in the family are twins Conner and Bailey who are 14 years old and Kennedy who is 10. The kids have been singing a song or two as a part of the older Hayes Family’s concerts for the last several years, so they are no strangers to the stage. Clarkdale First Baptist Church in Austell, Georgia, has hosted concerts for the original Hayes Family for a number of years and now they have hosted this group as well.
I think I heard three part harmony on most of the songs – with Wendy and Kennedy on the same part, Conner and Bailey on their part, and Mylon who sings whatever other part is needed. I think I even heard Mylon singing some bass notes on one or two songs! It was harder than usual to just pick a few videos from this concert and had to stop myself at five! Here’s what they sang:
- I’m Happy in the Lord Anyway — Kennedy had the most features during this concert. It’s a good thing she’s not shy!
- The Gloryland Way – They even had the congregation singing along on this one.
- How Great It Is – Conner and then Bailey were featured on this song. They did a great job on it. What a strong family resemblance these boys have to their dad and grandfather! And it looks like they’re going to be pretty tall, too.
- He Is God – Kennedy was featured on this song.
- The children have been home schooled and they are learning a lot of scripture. At the previous two concerts I’ve seen them, they quoted some pretty long scripture passages for us and they did again during this concert. All of them spoke clearly and with understanding of what they were saying. The children have also been taking piano lessons and we were treated to Kennedy’s rendition of Amazing Grace. I would’ve loved to have gotten a good video, but from where the piano was placed, I couldn’t even see the top of her little head!
- I Love to Sing – This was sung from the hymnal with just a piano track and they sang the shape note syllables on the second verse! I think the kids did better than the adults!
- The Finished Tapestry – This Rebecca Peck song had such a beautiful message and Wendy did a great job on it.
- Bigger Than Any Mountain – I just fell in love with this song when I heard it on the radio last summer and so I was delighted to see the family perform it in a showcase at NQC. Unlike at NQC, this time I caught the whole song on video! I loved watching them so obviously enjoying singing this song together!
- The Voice of Truth – I understand that this song is from the movie, Facing the Giants. Conner started the song off and was joined first by Bailey and then Mylon. The ladies joined in on the choruses.
- Little Is Much – Kennedy was featured on the first verse and Mylon and Wendy sang a duet on the 2nd.
- God Makes No Mistakes – Yes, this is the song that was released in the last year (or has it been two?) by the Inspirations. Kennedy was featured on it.
- He Loves Me – Mylon started this a capella song and then the family joined on the chorus. Sweet, sweet song!
- Bless the Lord, Oh My Soul – I’m guessing the title of this song, but it was also performed a capella and this time Kennedy started it. Very well done!
Also in attendance were legends Lamar Newton and Sandy Payton and Minister of Music Charlie Sexton convinced them to play a piano/organ duet for us during the love offering at the end of the service, with Mylon joining them on the bass guitar. But then since the offering didn’t actually get taken up, they played another one! I’m not too sure that Charlie didn’t let that happen on purpose!