Living In The Moment – Beyond The Ashes
- Album – Living In The Moment
- Artist – Beyond The Ashes
- Label – Stow Town Records
- Style – Progressive, Light Pop
- Release Date – 03/05/13
- Available For Digital Download? – Yes (iTunes, Amazon, Rhapsody)
2013 is starting to shape up with the release of several anticipated albums over the course of the next several weeks. The first, is the new album by Beyond The Ashes; Living In The Moment.
Landing at retail on Tuesday March 5th, 2013, Living In The Moment is the first Beyond The Ashes recording on the Ernie Haase owned label Stow Town Records. The current vocal line-up is composed of Anthony Facello (tenor), Dustin Doyle (lead) and Kellan Monroe (baritone).
Living In The Moment slides to the progressive scale in terms of style. It doesn’t stray too far from what Beyond The Ashes has given Southern Gospel listeners in the past. In fact, it builds on that and creates an early contender for one of the top albums of 2013.
- Dustin Doyle: Where did this kid come from? I had not heard of him until he joined Beyond The Ashes. Dustin absolutely ‘tears it up’ on Living In The Moment. Dustin has five features on this eleven song recording.
- The stand out track on Living In The Moment is the title track. The group takes a Jason Mraz pop song and they make it fit for the Southern Gospel listener. Dustin’s feature is what separates this song and makes it a better listen than the Mraz pop original.
- Dustin also turns in a masterpiece of a performance on “Peace In The Midst Of The Storm”. This is the strongest contender for radio single possibilities on the album.
- The group does some ensemble work on the first single, “Oh The Thought The Jesus Loves Me”. This Wayne Haun/Lyn Rowell penned tune was first recorded by the Collingsworth Family. It could have been a bit intimidating for Beyond The Ashes to come in and record a song already done by the Collingsworth Family. Beyond The Ashes should be proud of what they were able to accomplish with their version of the song.
Baritone Kellan MonroeIt seems as though Dustin Doyle is also featured on another stand out track, “Over For Good”. This closing song on the album is another song that Southern Gospel listeners will love. But, listeners shouldn’t overlook Kellan’s otherfeature, “Where The Gold Begins”. This sounds like another song that could be recorded by Jason Mraz or Train. It is so different it is good!
- Strongest songs included in order: “Living In The Moment”, “Over For Good”, “Oh The Thought That Jesus Loves Me”, “Peace In The Midst Of The Storm”, “Where The Gold Begins”, “No Sin Greater Than God’s Grace” and “Walking With My Eyes On Jesus”.
- Front man, Anthony Facello, seems to take a back seat on Living In The Moment. He only has two features on the entire recording.
- The use of a pop song may turn some folks off to this recording. That would be a shame because this album is too good not to hear.
- Weakest songs included in order: “I Can’t Do This By Myself” and “Your Love Comes Shining Through”.
I was anticipating the release of Living In The Moment after the group’s last mainline release Treasures Unseen. As great as Treasures Unseen was, Living In The Moment surpasses it and makes it the best album Beyond The Ashes has released to date. I wouldn’t wait too long in adding what will be one of the best albums released in 2013 to your music collection.
SONG/Featured Vocalist – SONGWRITER: 1. “So Amazing To Me”/Ensemble; Anthony - Wayne Haun, Sarah McCutcheon 2. “Living In The Moment”/Dustin - Jason Mraz, Richard Nowels 3. “Oh The Thought That Jesus Loves Me”/Ensemble; Kellan; Dustin - Wayne Haun, Lyn Rowell 4. “No Sin Greater Than God’s Grace”/Anthony - Anthony Facello, Sarah McCutcheon 5. “Peace In The Midst Of The Storm”/Dustin - Stephen Adams 6. “Walking With My Eyes On Jesus”/Dustin – Sarah McCutcheon 7. “I Can’t Do This By Myself”/Anthony - Wayne Haun, Joel Lindsey 8. “Where The Gold Begins”/Kellan - Carl Cartee, Joseph Daniels, Allen Dukes, David Neesmith, Aaron Tomberlin, Nathan Tomberlin 9. “When Love Whispers Your Name”/Dustin - Ernie Haase, Joel Lindsey 10. “Your Love Comes Shining Through”/Dustin – Calvin Rhone 11. “Over For Good”/
Kellan Dustin – Marcy Each, Kimberly Ford, Karen Gillespie