I know I have been jumping all over the map in selecting years to highlight in this feature but I didn’t want to go in order so I could cover various time periods over the course of several weeks. So far I have highlighted the best albums released in 2000, 1995, 1990, 1985 and 2001. This week will take a look at the best Southern Gospel albums released in 1996 and stay tuned for next week as I will cover my first year of the 1970′s.
1996 still saw the dominance of the Cathedrals as they won group and album of the year. ”Serenaded By Angels” by Kirk Talley picked up song of the year honors in ’96. The year also saw the emergence of groups like the Crabb Family, Tony Gore & Majesty and Booth Brothers.
The 20 best albums released in the year 1996 are as follows:
- Wherever You Are – Martins (SpringHill)
- Preparing The Way – Gold City (RiverSong)
- You Can’t Ask Too Much Of My God – Bishops (Homeland)
- All Access Live – Tony Gore & Majesty (Promised Land)
- Center Stage Live – Perrys (MorningStar)
- 4 God So Loved – Brian Free & Assurance (White Field)
- Still Holdin’ On – Crabb Family (Zion)
- Radio Days – Cathedrals (Homeland)
- Transformed – Don DeGrate & Strong Tower (Zion)
- Praise God Anyhow – Booth Brothers (MorningStar)
- We Want America Back – Steeles (Daywind)
- Old Time Religion – Dixie Melody Boys (MorningStar)
- Right On Time – Karen Peck & New River (Horizon)
- The Shepherds Found A Lamb – Greater Vision (RiverSong)
- Renaissance – Freemans (Daywind)
- And The Walls Came Down Live – Greenes (ACA)
- Love’s Sweet Story – Poet Voices (Sonlite)
- Golden Stairs – JD Sumner & Stamps (NuSong)
- Live Like No Other – Teddy Huffam & Gems (Horizon)
- Alive And Kickin’ – Crabb Family (Zion)
Listen to a mash-up of music from the 20 best albums released in 1996. Enjoy!