Officially half way through the 2011 edition of the National Quartet Convention. Here are the nights highlights.
- Sisters can evermore sing!!
- The Freemans kicked off the night with a strong set. Live music and some great music with “The Father And The Son” and “Children Of The Dust”.
- Tribute Quartet salvaged their set with a strong closing number “Homecoming Day”.
- Perrys turned in another solid set and even had Wilburn and Wilburn join them on stage for “I Wish I Could’ve Been There”.
- The showcase artist, High Road were surprisingly good! Have to look for more of their music.
- Nostalgia was the name of the game Wednesday night. Rambos! Rambos! Rambos! Wow!!
- Greater Vision could have fallen flat having to follow the Rambos, but they turned in an impressive set. The scaled back approach on “Like I Wish I’d Lived” was great. Chris is a singing machine.
- The emotional punch of “Well Done, Well Done” (Kim Hopper), “This Is Just What Heaven Means To Me” (Paul’s Journey) and “Under His Wings” (Sisters) back to back to back was the best sequence of songs I have heard so far this week. My blessing meter went off the charts.
- Gold City and Triumphant Quartet closed the night in fine fashion. After a stumble in their set Monday, Triumphant Quartet returned tonight with a set befitting the reigning quartet of the year. Absolutely terrific!
- I know they need time between setting up one group and the next but some of the videos are just ridiculous.
- Ernie Haase & Signature Sound’s set wasn’t bad, but it was lacking something. I just can’t place my finger on what it was.
- Dailey & Vincent were absent due to sickness.
**Now to crown the best of the night:
Best single song performances (in order of appearance): (1) “The Father And The Son” – Freemans (2) “Homecoming Day” – Tribute Quartet (3) “Everytime I Need Him” – Perrys (4) “High Road” – High Road (5) “I Won’t Ask For More” – Rambos (6) “Too Much To Gain To Lose” - Rambos (7) “He Looked Beyond My Fault” – Rambos (8) “Like I Wish I’d Lived” – Greater Vision (9) “Well Done, Well Done” – Kim Hopper (10) “This Is Just What Heaven Means To Me” – Paul’s Journey (11) “Under His Wings” – Sisters (12) “Love Came Calling” – Triumphant Quartet (13) “We’re Almost Home” – Triumphant Quartet
Best Set of the Night: This one is tough because there were so many great moments. We’ll call it a tie between the Rambos and Triumphant Quartet! My favorite moment of the night though was the sequence of songs by Kim Hopper, Paul’s Journey and Sisters. This was, for me, my favorite night of the week so far. A lot of memorable performances this evening. Here’s hoping the rest of the week is just as strong.